Staying in education after year 11

If you want to carry on studying but are worried about money, or just wanting to find out what you’re entitled to, read on, we can point you in the right direction. There’s support available for vocational and academic learning after your GCSEs, and it might make the difference between feeling you need to start working, or carrying on with your education.

Here are three good starting points to help you find out more for yourself:

  • Take a look at this article on Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) in the Learning section of this site. EMA is a weekly allowance especially for students aged 16 and over.
  • The Department for Education has information about the range of benefits you might be entitled to – look at the Money Matters website for more information.
  • Support4Learning is another good source of information, with details on a wide range of support services, grants, bursaries and awards.
  • If you are aged 21 or under and are unable to live with your parents or carers, you could be entitled to financial support if you’re in full time education or are about to start.


Who can help?

Call the freephone EMA Helpline on 080 810 16 2 19 or visit their website at for more details.

The Money to Learn section of the Directgov website offers useful information and explains fully the funding that you may be entitled to. Visit

Find out about the financial help that’s available to young people in education and training and make sure you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to by visiting Directgov – Financial Help for Young People.

Create a website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: