Legal Help

As a young person you are entitled to be treated with the same respect as an adult. Don’t be afraid to look after yourself, speak up and protect your rights. If there is an issue that you are not happy with and don’t think you have been treated correctly or fairly, then there are many places where you can go to get free advice.

  • Firstly, you could consult an adult and ask their advice or look on the internet.
  • If they cannot help you, you can visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). There is an office in most town centres, so look on the website to find your local branch.
  • You could always go to see a solicitor but many charge for their time and advice, so it might be best trying the CAB first. If they think you need to see a solicitor, they will be able to recommend one to you.

You need to remember there are lots of laws to protect young people’s rights and getting help is a lot easier than it seems. Often if you just mention that you know your rights or what you are entitled to, it usually works and helps you get the service you want! Make sure you know your rights by looking at the ‘rights of young people’ section.

Who can help?

As a young person you have certain rights set out by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. See the ‘Rights of young people’ section to find out more.

If still uncertain if your rights have been breached and you need to seek legal advice contact the Citizens Advice Bureau at

The Community Legal Service (CLS) runs an easy-to-use service that can help you deal with your legal problems. It provides free information, help and advice direct to the public on a range of common issues. Visit the CLS site at

Create a website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: